Having just visited the beautiful island of Puerto Rico earlier this year, I felt compelled to seek ways to help in whatever big or small way that I can. Mayor de Blasio just announced several drop off locations throughout NYC for residents to donate critically needed items for Hurricane Maria relief.
Items listed below will be collected at 18 Firehouse and EMS locations throughout NYC:
- Baby food
- First Aid Supplies
- Feminine Hygiene Products
Please note the City is only collecting the items listed above. All donated items must be non-perishable, not second-hand, nor contain any liquids of any kind. Open or unsealed donations of food or hygiene supplies will not be accepted. Wet wipes will also not be accepted. Any other items will be kindly returned.
There are 18 drop off locations accepting donations across all five boroughs. Donations will be accepted during the hours of 7 am through 9 pm. Please be aware that FDNY members at these locations may not be present during drop-off hours if they are responding to an emergency.
- Engine 91: 242 E. 111th Street, New York, NY 11220 (East Harlem)
- Engine 95/ Ladder 36: 29 Vermilyea Avenue, New York, NY 10033 (Inwood)
- Engine 28/ Ladder 11: 222 E. 2nd Street, New York, NY 10009 (Lower East Side)
- EMS Station 26: 1264 Boston Road, Bronx NY 10456 (Morrisania)
- EMS Station 55: 3134 Park Avenue, Bronx, NY 10451 (Melrose)
- Engine 64/ Ladder 47: 1214 Castle Hill Avenue, Bronx, NY 10462 (Castle Hill)
- Engine 83/ Ladder 29: 618 E. 138th Street, Bronx, NY 10454 (Mott Haven/South Bronx)
- Engine 316: 27-12 Kearney Street, Queens, NY 11369 (East Elmhurst)
- Engine 289/ Ladder 138: 97-28 43rd Avenue, Queens, NY 11368 (Corona)
- Engine 307/ Ladder 154: 81-17 Northern Boulevard, Queens, NY 11372 (Jackson Heights)
- Engine 271/ Ladder 124: 392 Himrod Street, Brooklyn, NY 11237 (Bushwick)
- Engine 277/ Ladder 112: 582 Knickerbocker Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11221 (Bushwick)
- Engine 201/ Ladder 114: 5113 4th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11220 ( Sunset Park)
- Engine 228: 436 39th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11232 (Sunset Park)
- Engine 218: 650 Hart Street, Brooklyn, NY 11221 (Bushwick)
- Engine 153/ Ladder 77: 74 Broad Street, Staten Island, NY 10304 (Stapleton)
- Engine 157/ Ladder 80: 1573 Castleton Avenue, Staten Island, NY 10302 (Port Richmond)
- Ladder 79: 1189 Castleton Avenue, Staten Island, NY 10310 (Port Richmond)
I took a much needed vacation to the beautiful island of Puerto Rico and I even succeeded in not turning my entire trip into a full on photography assignment! I decided to take one camera (my camera “B” aka Nina) and one lens (Canon 50mm f 1.8). While I did get to spend days on the beach soaking up the sun, explore the island and R-E-L-A-X, I also spent an entire day in Old San Juan snapping away. Puerto Rico is a beautiful island filled with rich culture, delicious cuisine and beautiful (and colorful) architecture. Check out the photos below!